TLDR: Short on time and want to jump straight to the answer?
As per our research, the best Version Control Software for most people is Bitbucket.
A version control system is used to track, maintain and control the development of software projects. It’s used by software developers, testers, project managers, and many other people. A version control system is used to track the history of changes made to a program. Every time the changes are made they are committed to a coordinate system. When you use a version control system you get to see who made what changes, when, and how often. Version control is used all over the software industry. Software developers use version control for all sorts of reasons: Enhancing productivity by tracking multiple versions of the same file; Maintaining consistency in the functionality of their software; Making changes to keep it under version control; And more.
After researching dozens of Version Control Software options available in the market today, we have compiled this list of top 8 Version Control Software to help you find the perfect solution based on your specific needs.
The 8 Best Version Control Software
Here are our top picks for the best Version Control Software,
- Bitbucket – Overall Best Version Control Software
- MasterControl – Simple and Easy to Use Version Control System for Beginners
- Git – Most Popular Version Control Tool
- Apache Subversion – Most Versatile Source Control Tool for Flexibility and Customization
- GitLab – Best Source Code Management Tool with Fast and Reliable Support
- Mercurial SCM – Most Affordable Code Versioning Tool
- Kallithea – Best Freemium Revision Control Software
- Plastic SCM – Top Rated Version Control System
So, let’s read on further to get a complete idea of our top Version Control Software picks for this year.
1. Bitbucket – Overall Best Version Control Software
Learn about version control systems like git, svn, and mercurial. Understand the differences so you can decide which version control software is right. Version control software: An overview – bitbucket bitbucket logo.
2. MasterControl – Simple and Easy to Use Version Control System for Beginners
A document version control software system facilitates companies to craft and preserve backups of various versions of documents to refer in future and to ensure availability of various document versions for future updates. Document version control software system.
3. Git – Most Popular Version Control Tool
Git is a free and open source distributed version control system designed to handle everything from small to very large projects with speed and efficiency. Git.
4. Apache Subversion – Most Versatile Source Control Tool for Flexibility and Customization
Welcome to subversion.Apache.Org, the online home of the apache® subversion® software project. Subversion is an open source version control system. Apache subversion.
5. GitLab – Best Source Code Management Tool with Fast and Reliable Support
Gitlab’s DevOps platform is a single application for unparalleled collaboration, visibility, and development velocity. Learn more here!. Iterate faster, innovate together – gitlab.
6. Mercurial SCM – Most Affordable Code Versioning Tool
Mercurial is a free, distributed source control management tool. It efficiently handles projects of any size and offers an easy and intuitive interface. Mercurial scm.
7. Kallithea – Best Freemium Revision Control Software
Kallithea, a free software source code management system supporting two leading version control systems, mercurial and git. Kallithea.
8. Plastic SCM – Top Rated Revision Control Software
Enjoy comparing the history of the version control systems with the history of war birds. Plastic scm – version control history.
Final Thoughts – Best Version Control Software
The right Version Control Software for you, depends on your specific needs, of course. Most of our top Version Control Software picks include a free trial, so don’t be shy about trying a few different brands until you find a perfect fit.
In review, here are our top 8 picks for the best Version Control Software.
|Name||Use Case||Website Link|
|1. Bitbucket||Overall Best Version Control Software||Try Now|
|2. MasterControl||Simple and Easy to Use Version Control System for Beginners||Try Now|
|3. Git||Most Popular Version Control Tool||Try Now|
|4. Apache Subversion||Most Versatile Source Control Tool for Flexibility and Customization||Try Now|
|5. GitLab||Best Source Code Management Tool with Fast and Reliable Support||Try Now|
|6. Mercurial SCM||Most Affordable Code Versioning Tool||Try Now|
|7. Kallithea||Best Freemium Revision Control Software||Try Now|
|8. Plastic SCM||Top Rated Version Control System||Try Now|
We hope that you found this guide helpful in choosing the best Version Control Software for your specific needs. Feel free to share the article with your friends and help spread the knowledge.